Monday, June 11, 2007

Now I know what Abject Means




Living in New York led to poisoning the mice and poisoning mice has led to my real life abjection.


For so long, I thought gore was my thing. It was Dario Argento this and Herschell Gordon Lewis that and now a mouse died in the bathroom and I have met my match. I though about taking a picture of it and posting it and that somehow, by turning it into an image, the little corpse would become less real. I couldn't even open the cupboard.
I knew there was a little eyeless furry corpse animated with maggots...

"The corpse, seen without God and outside of science, is the utmost of abjection. It is death infecting life. Abject. It is something rejected from which one does not part, from which one does not part, from which one does not protect oneself as from an object. Imaginary uncanniness and real threat, it beckons to us and ends up engulfing us." (Kristeva, Powers of Horror)

Now the corpse is gone (all thanks goes to Nathan) but what remains is the large "Fulci puddle" and every now and then, a maggot crosses the physical border of the cupboard and I am reminded that all of our borders are imaginary. But at least the cupboard is keeping most of them in! for now...

2 comments:

Lucia said...

I feel for you...

At least Nathan had the courage (I mean, vodka) to clean it up for ya! :)

steve roberts said...

It's hard to be confronted with real gore when you love fake gore. Loving that is like loving make-up.